Hereditary / Genetic Hearing Loss Explained

Not all hearing loss is caused by ageing or loud noises, in some cases hearing loss or deafness can be passed down genetically, this is hereditary hearing loss. It is also called congenital hearing loss or genetic hearing loss. In some cases, the person affected is born deaf or hard of hearing; others can be genetically predisposed to hearing loss, which means they are more susceptible to presbycusis (age-related hearing loss) or noise-induced hearing loss.

Birth Defects and Hearing Loss / Deafness

Most people associate hearing loss with the elderly; however, it is actually the most common birth defect in the United States. According to the March of Dimes, about 12,000 babies are born with some form of hearing loss each year in the U.S. Of those, about 30% of the genetic hearing loss is associated with other birth defects that affect either the structure or development of the ear. This is referred to as syndromic hearing loss, whereas the other 70% of those born with hearing loss are non-syndromic or genetic.

Conditions that can cause syndromic hearing loss include:

  • Usher Syndrome
  • Pendred Syndrome
  • Waardenburg Syndrome
  • Treacher Collins Syndrome

How Common is Hereditary Hearing Loss?

Wikipedia details how common hereditary hearing loss is.

  • About 75 – 80% of inherited hearing loss is in recessive genes. This is called non-syndromic hearing impairment.
  • 20 – 25% of inherited hearing loss is from dominant genes. This is called syndromic hearing impairment. It means that the hearing loss is attributed to other clinical abnormalities.
  • Only 1 -2% of inherited hearing loss is inherited by X-linked patterns.
  • Less than 1% is from a mitochondrial inheritance.

Trust the Experts at Audionics NYC

Here at Audionics we are committed to building a strong patient to provider relationship so that the focus is on restoring your world of hearing. If you would like to speak with one of our experienced hearing care professionals, contact us today and schedule an appointment at our Manhattan hearing clinic location in the historic DuMont Building right on 53rd Street & Madison Avenue.