Hearing Aid Maintenance Guide
Once you have hearing aids, you realize how much they help you stay connected to the world around you. However, it is important to remember that your hearing aid is a delicate and intricate device that needs extra special care and handling. Taking proper care of them can help extend their life. To ensure that you continue hearing optimally and that your hearing aids are working at their best, we have 5 hearing aid maintenance tips for you.
- Store your hearing aids properly: When you are not wearing your hearing aids, you should keep them safe by storing them in their case or charging unit (if you have rechargeables). Make sure to keep them in a cool, dry place; and, if you live in a place with high humidity, then consider investing in a dehumidifier.
- Wipe your hearing aids with a dry cloth: Each time you take out your hearing aids, you should wipe them off with a soft, dry cloth. This will ensure that no moisture can get into your hearing aids and will prevent wax buildup from interfering with the functions. Never use any cleaning solvents or water to clean your hearing aids. Only use the tools that came with your hearing aid cleaning kit. When you are cleaning your hearing aids, work over a towel or soft surface so that they will not be damaged if they fall.
- Change the filters regularly: Make sure that you change the filters in your hearing aids regularly. Maintain a schedule according to the directions given to you by your hearing care professional.
- Keep your hearing aids away from moisture: Water and hearing aids don’t mix. You definitely should not bathe or swim with your hearing aids in; but you even need to be careful if it rains or snows. Always think about protecting your hearing aids from moisture and carry your case with you.
- Know when to take your hearing aids out: Certain activities can damage your hearing aids, so don’t wear your hearing aids when styling or blow drying your hair or while sleeping. They can fall out and get damaged.
Still have questions about your hearing aids or need help? Give us a call at 212-755-5100. If your hearing aids are not working properly, we can schedule an appointment for you bring them in for a check up.
Trust the Experts at Audionics NYC
Here at Audionics we are committed to building a strong patient to provider relationship so that the focus is on restoring your world of hearing. If you would like to speak with one of our experienced hearing care professionals, contact us today and schedule an appointment at our Manhattan hearing clinic location in the historic DuMont Building right on 53rd Street & Madison Avenue.