While some people may take it for granted, I think most of you would agree that your hearing health is very important. The first step to treating hearing loss is to prevent it! That is the key in avoiding almost any illness, and the same goes with hearing loss. There are many everyday things that we do that endanger our hearing, and just by simply knowing about them, we can help keep our ears safe from harm. Here are the top 5 hearing loss prevention tips that you can follow everyday. Please share them with your friends and family as well.
- Avoid long exposure to loud noises and wear protective gear when necessary: This tip may seem very obvious however, there are many day to day activities that we may not realize fall under this category. For example, if you commute to work, try to avoid walking near noisy construction zones and pay attention to any loud traffic noises that happen on a regular basis. If you frequently encounter loud noises on your commute, you may want to look into custom-fitted hearing protectors to help keep loud noises at bay. Other common activities that you should be aware of include mowing the lawn, listening to your MP3 player at above 60% volume, and even blow drying your hair.
- Beware of medication side effects: Many medications can affect hearing and even cause temporary or permanent hearing loss. Using certain pain relievers frequently and for long periods of time has been linked to hearing loss.
- Eat healthy: Studies have shown that your diet does in fact affect your hearing health, and while there’s no specific rule on which foods you should eat, practicing good eating habits will go a long way in helping you maintain good hearing health.
- Stop smoking cigarettes: Researchers believe that the nicotine in cigarettes affects the way the ears process sound, thus leading to hearing loss. This can happen even from second-hand smoke.
- Get your hearing checked regularly: Hearing loss problems can often be treated if they’re caught early enough. That’s why it’s important to get your hearing checked periodically.
These hearing loss prevention tips can be easily followed on a daily basis and will help keep your ears healthy. Hopefully, you realize how important it is to take care of your hearing. If you’d like to speak to one of our hearing care experts to schedule a hearing assessment, contact us today on 212-755-5100 or click here to request an appointment.